Dance Curriculum Overview

Course Outline

Component 1: Performance and Choreography

Performance (30% of GCSE)

Set phrases through a solo performance (approximately one minute in duration). Duet/trio performance (three minutes in a dance which is a maximum of five minutes in duration)

Choreography (30% of GCSE)

Solo or group choreography – a solo (two to two and a half minutes) or a group dance for two to five dancers (three to three and a half minutes)

Component 2: Dance Appreciation Written Exam (40% of GCSE)

Questions are based on: Knowledge and understanding of choreographic processes and performing skills; critical appreciation of own work; critical appreciation of professional works.

Assessment Format

AQA (1-9) GCSE Dance (8236)

Students all follow a linear course which is assessed by one practical examination during the Spring term in Year 11 and one theoretical exam at the end of Year 11. The practical elements of the course amount to 60% of the overall grade and the theoretical aspects contribute to the remaining 40%.

What skills will I need to be successful in this subject?

In order to be successful, students need to demonstrate physical, technical and expressive skills in dance. Students must also be committed and show confidence when performing. Through written communication and use of appropriate terminology, students must be able to critically analyse, interpret and evaluate their own work in performance and choreography and demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of professional dance works.

Possible Careers and Future Education

This course provides a solid foundation for a career in dance or performing arts and further studies in dance. GCSE Dance gives students the skills and experiences to better prepare them for the demands of AS/A Level Dance. The course will develop skills that are recognised by universities and employers, including problem solving, creativity and teamwork.

The Ramsey Academy, Halstead an academy within the North Essex Multi-Academy Trust, a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales (Company Number 7687474)
The Ramsey Academy, Colne Road, Halstead, Essex, CO9 2HR | Tel: 01787 472 481 | Fax: 01787 474 267 | Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

We have a UK Parliament Teacher AmbassadorClick here to contact CEOP We are a Healthy SchoolA Member of the Saffron AllianceFind us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter