Art Curriculum Overview

The grid below gives an overview of the curriculum for this academic year:

Year 7

In Years 7 and 8 students complete a design and make task over 12 one hour lessons.  Students are taught about the design process and how to respond to a design brief.  Students experience a range of techniques and methods including how to use the sewing machine.

In Year 9 students explore higher level design and construction techniques in order to build the necessary skills in preparation for GCSE Textiles.  Students are assessed on their ability to Investigate, Develop, Plan, Make and Evaluate.

Students have the opportunity to make both two dimensional and three dimensional work including collage, painting, print and ceramics. Students are taught to use materials, tools and techniques to develop their creative, imaginative and practical skills to enable them to express ideas and feelings, record observations and design and make images and artefacts. Through their own work and the study of other artists students will develop visual perception and literacy so enabling them to express ideas and opinions using an art, craft and design vocabulary.

The Years 7 to 9 are the building blocks for further study at GCSE, which some students will go on to study. The Department views art as both an intellectual and creative subject; it is one of the means by which we interpret, express and understand our place in the world and as such is viewed as an important aspect of education.

The Natural World - To include some of the following:

  • Van Gogh
  • Post Impressionism
  • Monet (haystacks)
  • Impressionism
  • Georgia O’Keeffe
  • American Modernism
  • Hundertwasser
  • Architecture
  • Mixed media version of Sunflowers
  • Mono prints
  • Fruit cross section
  • Watercolour trees
  • A4 wax & watercolour trees

Year 8

Food Glorious  Food -To include some of the following:

  • Andy Warhol
  • Roy Lichenstien
  • Pop Art
  • Wayne Thiebauld
  • Claus Oldenburg
  • Pop art 
  • Sweet wrapper painting
  • Observational drawings and mixed media paintings
  • Ceramic and mixed media sculptures.

Year 9

The Built Environment - To include some of the following:

  • Lowry
  • Johannes Vermeer
  • Baroque
  • Banksy
  • Cave Painting
  • Prehistoric
  • Hundertwasser
  • Architecture
  • A5 card painting
  • Building collage
  • Wall stencil
  • Painting
  • Ceramic Plaque
  • Decorated photocopy of flats
  • House carton

Year 10

GCSE art follows the Edexcel syllabus. During the two year course, students develop the core study skills of developing and analysing artists, experimenting and exploring media, recording and understanding, realising and evaluating through a series of coursework projects in both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional work.

The assessment of coursework comprises 60% of the examination marks, with the 10 hour timed test and supporting studies comprising the remaining 40% of the marks.

A final display of coursework and exam work is held in school for the visit of the external moderator and is on show to parents and the public in the form of a large scale, exciting exhibition at the end of the summer term.

In Year 10 students spend the first one and a half terms widening their knowledge and understanding of the world of art. Students follow an introductory teacher led course using a variety of materials and techniques including; watercolour and acrylic paints, oil and chalk pastels, collage, print making, sculpture and clay inspired by the theme of everyday objects.

During the second half of the year students are led through the process of understanding how to produce art work to meet the assessment objectives. The theme is portraits and aims to develop pupils personal interests.

Year 11

In year 11 students continue to develop work towards their portfolio. They are given a title to explore that compliments the overall title for the portfolio unit.

In January of year eleven students receive their externally set assignment. In the Spring term they will develop ideas and supporting work in preparation for the ten hour practical exam set at the end of the term or the beginning of the Summer term.

The Ramsey Academy, Halstead an academy within the North Essex Multi-Academy Trust, a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales (Company Number 7687474)
The Ramsey Academy, Colne Road, Halstead, Essex, CO9 2HR | Tel: 01787 472 481 | Fax: 01787 474 267 | Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  | Contact

Education Outreach Teacher Ambassodor Web Accreditation Badge DIGTALCEOP Healthy School Logologo